Post-lockdown camping could be a very different experience for many of us this year. Although many campsites in England will finally begin to reopen on 4th July, some will be choosing to keep facilities including showers and toilets closed.
So how can you stay clean on your next camping trip with so many campsites closing their toilet and shower facilities? We round up some of the best camp toilets and showers to keep you clean on your summer camping trip, as well as some great campsite entertainment ideas to keep the whole family occupied.
Stay clean at the campsite…
With a rechargeable battery, the Colapz camping shower is a genius bit of kit and means you can stay clean throughout your camping trip. Consider constructing a privacy screen outside of your tent or pop on swimwear to shower.
- Expect to pay around £72.00 – £81.00
- Buy the Colapz portable camping shower
Taking your own portable camp toilet camping with you is one, thing, but when it comes to grabbing a bit of privacy on the privvy, a toilet tent will definitely come in handy.
- Expect to pay around £37.50
- Buy the Hi-Gear Annex Utility Tent
Travel towels are ideal for camping and whether you opt for a quick wash in the tent using a good old bucket and warm water or you’re lucky enough to bag a pitch at a campsite with open showers, lightweight, quick-drying towels are a camping essential.
- Expect to pay from £15.99 – £22.99
- Buy the SoftFibre Triangle Print Travel Towel
OK, it’s not cheap, but it’s is genius. LifeSaver make equipment designed for disaster situations, helping to keep people alive, and whilst I’m not suggesting camping this summer will be akin to a survival situation, easy access to clean drinking water and a shower could prove very useful.
- Expect to pay around £259.99 – £307.97
- Buy the LifeSaver Jerrycan Starter Pack With Shower
If you’re short on space, this compact camp toilet will do the job for a small family on a short camping trip. Please make sure you read our guide to portable camping toilets before buying.
- Expect to pay around £40
- Buy the Hig-Gear Portable Flushing Camp Toilet
Originally designed for festivals, Pits & Bit kits are also ideal for backpacking and wild camping, but if you’re facing a camping trip at a campsite with closed facilities, packing something like this makes a lot of sense.
- Expect to pay around £6.50
- Buy Pits & Bits Waterless Wash Kit
This is a bit of wild card, as it’s not marketed as a shower, but I’ve got one, and whilst it’s great for cleaning off mucky dogs, so if it can be used for dogs, I’m sure it could be used on people too. There’s a rechargeable battery, making it ideal for taking camping and there’s a gentler spray option, ideal for use on doggos and humans alike.
- Expect to pay around £149.99
- Buy the Kärcher OC3 Portable Cleaner
There’s no sewn-in groundsheet to this popup privacy tent, making it ideal for showering in, allowing you to get naked rather than attempting to wash your bits through swimwear.
- Expect to pay around £28.00
- Buy the Popup Toilet or Shower Tent
Quickly wash hands and body without water with this gentle but effective antibacterial gel formula. This dry body wash is pH-balanced so it won’t dry out your skin and totally biodegradable so it won’t damage the planet either.
- Expect to pay around £4.99
- Buy Lifeventure Dry Body Wash
Anyone who has seen our guide on how to choose a camp toilet will know that we rate Thetford portable camp toilets very highly, so if you’re looking for a family-friendly toilet, this makes an excellent choice and please do make sure you check out our camp toilet buyers guide so you’ll know what to look for when choosing a camp toilet.
- Expect to pay from £65.00 to £76.00
- Buy the Thetford 165 Portable Camp Toilet
Stick the kettle on and pour yourself a bucket of warm water to wash your bits in. Nope, washing from a bucket is never the same as a whole-body shower, but when a shower isn’t possible, it will at least keep sweaty body parts clean and fresh smelling.
- Expect to pay around £14.99
- Buy the Collapsible Water Bucket
Just stick the bottom doodah into a bucket or big bowl of water and hey presto, you have a camp shower!
When all else fails, giant wet wipes come to the rescue and these are 100% biodegradable too. They’ll effectively clean away dirt and sweat leaving you feeling fresher, ideally pair with a waterless wash gel for the best results.
- Expect to pay around £19.99
- Buy the Luna XL Body Wipes
When we camp we have two popup washing up bowls, one for doing the washing up in and a different colour popup washing up bowl for body washes.
- Expect to pay around £12.99
- Buy the Kampa Dometic Large Collapsible Washing Up Bowl
Stay entertained at the campsite…
Let’s go fly a kite….seriously, kite flying is one of those simple activities that’s massively underrated, this is an ideal starter kite and will provide heaps of flying fun for the whole family. Expect to pay around £24.99
- Expect to pay around £24.99
- Buy the HQ Kites 1.3m Symphony Beach III Rainbow Kite
This little card game is brilliant, it’s ridiculously simple but highly addictive and easy for the entire family to play.
- Expect to pay from £12.99 – £15.99
- Buy Harry Potter Dobble
Such a simple game, but it can provide hours of fun and encourages kids to discover more about the natural environment. The game is pocket-sized too, making it ideal to take away camping.
- Expect to pay around £8.50
- Buy Go Find it Outdoor Treasure Hunt
Cheap and cheerful boules set that’s ideal for taking camping and something the whole family can play with ease.
- Expect to pay around £11
- Buy French Bouled Garden Game Set
This is a great fun and very lively board game designed for families full of crazy but fun challenges, many of which are physical so you’re an active family and generally like being on the go, this could be the ideal game for you!
- Expect to pay around £11
- Buy Beat That!
Who doesn’t love a good game of Swingball? This is a play anywhere classic that kids and adult can play, great for at the campsite too especially if play areas are closed!
- Expect to pay from £35 – £65
- Buy Swingball
Where to next?
- New To Family Camping? Best Family Tents & Camping Gear For Summer 2020
- Alternative Family Holidays – The Best Post-Lockdown Staycations Right Here In The UK
- 10 Of The Best Passive Camping Cool Boxes
Be sure to visit UnexploredPodcast.com and connect with us on social below.
Hear the Unexplored Podcast at any of the below…